Home / FAQ’s

Here are some of the questions we hear most often. If you have a question that is not answered here, telephone or visit the Social Security office nearest you. We will be happy to answer your questions about Social Security and about your case.

No, as Social Security is not a bank or credit union, the contributions we pay go into the Social Security Fund and are used to pay benefits.

Social Security was not designed to directly provide medical attention, but only to compensate for medical care under specific circumstances.

Click here for an electronic copy of the Social Security Act.

The law provides for all Belizeans to be registered with the Social Security Board. The act states “The mother of every child in Belize shall register such child with the Board within thirty days after birth, to obtain in respect of that child, a registration card.” It is also a form of personal identification.

The Social Security number serves as a unique account with the Social Security Board for the purpose of recording contributions and the payment of benefits.

Yes. You can visit any of the Social Security Branch Offices and apply for your card.

There is no charge. The card is free.

Yes. If the card is not expired, a police report is required and a fee of $25.00 is applied. If the card is expired, the replacement is free. For required documents, click here

The Social Security Board has improved its computerized system and is better equipped to protect you against possible identity theft. For this reason, you must submit the required documents upon applying for your Social Security Card. Our new registration system ensures more accurate, complete and up-to-date information of our records.

Under Survivor’s and Death Benefits, the surviving family members of the deceased Insured Person who meet the criteria may be covered. For more information click here

It is any regular employment of eight (8) hours or more per week of a person 14 years and over.

By law, your employer should provide you with a pay slip every payday showing the contributions deducted from your salary. You are also encouraged to check your contribution record with us by submitting a completed Employment Declaration Form via any of our Social Security Offices

The primary care clinics, laboratories, diagnostic centers and pharmacies are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Monday to Friday.

Just visit the nearest NHI Clinic with your valid social security card and proof of address.  You must be a resident of the areas currently covered to qualify for services.  Registration is also limited to availability of space.  When a clinic reaches the maximum number of members they can accept, the client will then be referred to those clinics that still have available spaces.

Yes, medications are covered at authorized pharmacies enrolled with NHI. There is a basic list of medications available-including treatment for the most important health problems.  A general practitioner or an authorized specialist must refer all prescriptions.  A small co-payment may apply.

Copayment is a small contribution that the client is asked to pay to offset the health care costs as a social responsibility of the patient. Currently there are two levels of copayment applied under NHI scheme.

  1. a $2.00 copayment paid by NHI members for each consultation at the Clinic.
  2. A 10% copayment for support services ( pharmacy, lab and imaging )

Those exempted from these fees are children under 5 years of age, senior citizens 60 years and older and pregnant women.

Your general practitioner (GP) must see you and determine that you need a lab exam or other diagnostic tests.  The GP will give you a referral and then you will select the lab or diagnostic center from the list of authorized NHI providers.  Once at the NHI provider, you will present your NHI slip and receive the service.

To change your PCP clinic, you will need to go to your Social Security’s branch to inform them why you want to change, and which clinic you want to change to. You are allowed to transfer to a new clinic only once for the year.  Transfer is also dependent of availability at the new location.

Some of the PCPs and other medical providers will be private and some will be government.